The Global Health Reporting Center is seeking an writer/producer for “Vitals,” our YouTube show about health and medicine, produced for PBS Digital Studios. Episodes generally run 8-10 minutes and are a mix of scripted narration (mostly delivered straight to camera) and interviews with subject-matter experts. Episodes alternate between the two hosts.
As episode writer/producer, you’ll be responsible for research and scripting each episode, supervising the show taping and reviewing the final edits (the editor is also the lead producer of the show). Original pitches are welcome, but you will also be asked to develop and execute ideas that were conceived by the rest of the show team. You will be assisted by a small team, including a researcher/assistant producer, graphics artist and editor.
- Working closely with the hosts, lead producer and the PBSDS team to develop an outline and script for each episode.
- Identifying and booking (or helping to book) interview guests.
- Overseeing field production, including remote/Zoom recording and occasional in-person filming with small crews (2-4 people)
- Maintaining editorial integrity: Work with PBSDS fact-checker on script, and backstop last-minute changes on day of taping. With interviews, you will be responsible for making sure the hosts are prepared with facts and that we remain editorially sound throughout the process.
- Reviewing and adding notes on a rough cut and fine cut of each episode.
What we’re looking for:
- A strong track record or demonstrable interest in health or medical content. Nearly as good: experience/interest with science content.
- A candidate who works well with a team.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ideally: experience producing shareable, engaging content for YouTube or similarly formatted video or audio content.
- Ideally: experience writing narration or voiceovers
- Bonus: a candidate with strong technical skills (editing, motion graphics or camera).
About the Global Health Reporting Center
The Global Health Reporting Center is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces in-depth health journalism. We take a 360º approach to health and medicine looking at the complex interactions of science, community, economics, politics, business, and human behavior. We report from every continent in the world with both local expertise and a global perspective.
About PBS Digital Studios:
PBS has long brought you original, thought-provoking programming. With PBS Digital Studios, we take that same mission and apply it to the Internet age. Working with creators from across the web, we’ve created more than 50 original web series that explore science, arts, culture, and more, including It’s Okay the Be Smart, The Art Assignment, Sound Field and other shows that reach millions of viewers each month.
If you are interested, please send the information below to [email protected].
● Email Address
● Where are you based?
Tell Us More…
● Why are you interested in this role?
● Link to relevant experience
● Link to your demo reel (if applicable)